How to program a new Mazda key without a car locksmith
The great advantage of the Mazda brand is that new keys can be programmed without the need of a car locksmith. This applies to the Mazda 2, Mazda 3, Mazda 5 and Mazda 6 models. If you have lost your keyy, all you need to do is buy a new one and go through the programming procedure. This applies to all Mazda models with a standard key like the one in the photo below (I’m not sure keyless ignition models).
Table of contents
Where to buy a Mazda key?
Below you will find several links from which you can buy a new key for Mazda.
What you need to know before buying a Mazda key?
It is important to know that each Mazda key has its own part number. You can find this number by disassembling the key into 2 parts and look inside the part with the buttons for remote unlocking.
Now with this number you have to look for a new key for your Mazda. The number of the new key must correspond exactly to the number you see on the old one. This will ensure that the purchased key can be programmed and will work without any issues.
Components of the Mazda key
The first thing you need to understand are the components of a car key. I will show the Mazda key in this case, but this is valid for most brands with modern immobilizers and central locking systems.
Most car keys consist of a housing, blade (key), chip (transponder) and circuit board.
It is the transponder and the circuit board are often mistaken, and in most cases people do not even know about the existence of the transponder, but think that the chip on the board is also responsible for the immobilizer. This is not the case with most car keys until 2012, including Mazda.
This chip is a passive RFID chip and also called a transponder. The name comes from Radio-frequency identification, it is passive because it does not need a battery. It is powered by the reader’s radio signal, which is usually located in the chuck of your car. Similar technology is used in many other industries, such as hospitality – magnetic cards that unlock doors. Quite an interesting technology, you can read more about it here.
This is the chip that corresponds to the immobilizer of the car, ie. he is responsible for ensuring that the engine can / cannot be started. After inserting the key into the chamber, the reader sends a signal to the transponder (chip), respectively, he responds with a code that certifies that this key is stored in the car computer and can start the engine. This chip is the main protection against car theft. Even if someone has the same cut key / pen as yours and has managed to get into your car, if this chip does not match the one stored in the car’s computer, the engine will not be able to start.
There are many types of these chips and it is best to look for information on the type of car. I personally can say for Mazda 6, GH, 2008 that the chip is 4D63 80bit.
To see exactly where the transponder chip is, you need to take the top of the key (blade) and remove the Mazda logo, which is located on the back of the key. It is glued and can be easily removed with a flat screwdriver. Then with a small Phillips screwdriver you need to unscrew a bolt that will split the key in two halves. Below in the photo you will see marked where the transponder is located.
Where to buy a chip / transponder?
This is the circuit board that has a chip on it and is responsible for the communication with the central locking system. It communicates with this car module and allows you to remotely lock and unlock car doors. In some car brands and in newer models, that are equipped with keyless ignition, all the transponder and circuit board are one part, but with this model of Mazda keys things are separate. This circuit board is also responsible for other features such as the so-called “Comfort module” – to be able to raise and lower the power windows or open the trunk directly from the key. This circuit board and chip need power and that is why there is a battery that is placed at the base of the key. The battery for this type of Mazda key is type CR1620.
Where to buy a key fob for Mazda?
How to program the circuit board with a chip for the central locking mechanism?
Before you start programming the Mazda key, its blade must be cut, ie. you must be able to insert the key into the ignition and turn it. Most procedures involve this action. Cutting a key is usually in the range of 10-15$.
There is a relatively easy key programming procedure for Mazda. It consists of several steps and anyone can do it from the first time. The procedure is for training and 2 keys for Mazda at the same time. When you already have a new key with a cut pen, follow the procedure below:
- Close all doors, open the driver’s door, remove the ignition key.
- Lock and unlock the driver’s door using the power switch on the door panel.
- Put the key in the ignition.
- Turn the key to the ON and OFF positions 3 times within 10 seconds. Leave the key in the ignition.
- Close and open the driver’s door 3 times.
- The door will remain open.
- Door locks must respond by locking and unlocking. You will hear it and see it on the door locks.
- Press one of the buttons on the remote control twice. The central locking system must respond by unlocking / locking the doors.
* If you want to program another key after the step above press one of the buttons on it 2 times. The central locking system will react again by unlocking / locking the doors.
Remove the ignition key and the locks will lock and unlocked again.
The procedure is complete.
Note that if after step 7 you do not hear that the doors locking and unlocking, it means that the procedure for programming a Mazda key was not successful or this key is simply not suitable for your model. I personally had this problem – the seller had sent me the wrong circuit board.
How to program the key chip / transponder for Mazda?
- Use key 1 to turn the ignition key to the ON position. The immobilizer light should turn off.
- After the immobilizer light has switched off, turn key 1 to LOCK position within 2 seconds and remove it from the steering wheel lock.
- Repeat step 1 with key 2.
- Repeat step 1 with key 3.
If you have only one valid key, the only way to program the Chip / Transponder is with an OBDII module, the ForScan software and a computer or laptop. Of course, you always have the option to go to a car locksmith, who will de facto do almost the same.
Where to buy OBDII module?
Where can I buy a laptop or computer?
Where to download the ForScan software?
ForScan has a free version that you can download here.
But to program the transponder you will need an Extended license, which is fortunately available for a 30-day trial period for Windows operating system. Therefore, install the program on your computer when you plan to perform the procedure or at least do it within 30 days of installing ForScan
How to program the key transponder for Mazda?
1. Инсталирайте ForScan на вашият компютър или лаптоп и го стартирайте.
2. Свържете вашият OBDII модул със софтуера. Ето
1. Install ForScan on your computer or laptop and run it.
2. Connect your OBDII module to the software. Here is more information on how to do it.
3. Go to the wrench icon and click on PATS. A new window will open with information on how many keys are currently stored on your Mazda computer.
4. Here you have 2 options
- Ignition Key Programming – to program an additional key
- Ignition Key Erase – delete existing keys and program new ones
That is why I would choose to program an additional key without deleting the existing ones, unless it is really necessary and you do not think that someone can use the lost key to steal your car. The other reason why I would choose to program an additional key for Mazda without deleting the existing ones is that the chip / transponder may be defective or not suitable for your Mazda. In this case, you will be left without a car because you have deleted the saved keys and you will not have 2 keys available to recover them.
If you have chosen to program an additional key, go directly to step 10.
5. Select the Ignition Key Erase option and press OK.
6. The program will read the outcode and ask you to generate incode. You can do this with the built-in generator by clicking Yes.
7. If you decide to use an external code generator for your Mazda key, press No. In this case, ForScan will show you the outcode and you will need to enter the incode.
8. You can use the site autokeyprog.com where you need to register and there you will be able to generate a new incode.
9. If the code is accepted, the system will ask you to confirm that you want to delete the existing saved keys. After confirmation, the system will perform the procedure and return you to the home menu, where you will already see 0 saved keys.
10. Select Ignition Key Programming from the menu and click the OK button.
11. You will see a new window with the following instructions.
- Insert the ignition key and turn it to the ON position without starting the vehicle.
- Then press the OK button.
The program will confirm that the operation was successful and will ask you to turn the switch back to the OFF position and then back to the ON position.